A passion for science: being a Black woman of impact

Janiece Glover, M.S.
March 31, 2021
Smiling young African American woman in white shirt looking at blackboard with formulas. Concept of education and science.
Licensed from iStockphoto.com

When I was younger, my first impression of a successful scientist was the TV personality Bill Nye the Science Guy, a white male with funny puns and a charismatic personality who made science look so intriguing. At that young age, it never dawned on me that I would constantly be skeptical of myself when I would consider a career in science, stemming from the notion that because I didn’t fit the mold of a “traditional” scientist, how could I, a Black woman, be successful in science?

My parents, like most parents, instilled in me that I could do anything I put my mind to as long as I had passion and drive behind it. Yet the lack of representation in my career choice of a scientist left me feeling uncertain. Growing up, I didn’t have many role models that resembled me in the sciences – it wasn’t until my time at Spelman College, an all-female Historically Black College, that I saw the different paths of science I could take.

"Women of all colors have a mark to make. We have proven time and time again that we are resilient, and we will empower the next generation to do the same."

-- Janiece Glover

These paths were presented to me by women of color who told me about their journeys and showed how resilient they were; for many, they were the first Black woman in their professional programs. Not only did I walk away from those experiences more motivated than ever, but I saw firsthand how representation matters – because I saw it in others, I could envision it for myself. As I look back on those experiences, I am so thankful for them. These Black women, who undoubtedly inspired me, took their time to uplift me, a lesson I try to pay forward by investing in the younger generation.

As Toni Morrison says, “If you have some power, you must empower somebody else.”

I constantly think about that quote. I enjoy teaching the younger generation of future scientists and showing them my passion for science. Through my interaction with young students, I hope that I can be a role model for them and empower them to chase every dream they have.

Now I am proud to say that I am a first-year PhD student in the Biomedical Sciences Program at MUSC. I am following my dreams of becoming a scientist who not only tests new boundaries in the way we translate modern medicine, but one who encourages others to follow the same path if they have a desire for it.

It comes as no surprise that my journey as a graduate student sometimes leaves me suffering from imposter syndrome. I am hard on myself when I need clarification on a topic that I feel I should know. I can get discouraged when I perform poorly on an assignment or presentation that I prepped extensively for. All of which leave me with the question, do I even belong?

Being a Black woman pursuing science at MUSC can give me feelings of displacement and make me question everything, especially coming from an undergraduate setting that is considered “The Mecca” of Black culture and academic excellence. I went from an environment where my color was never a factor to an environment where I was visibly the minority once again. For example, when I enter a room of people who look nothing like me, the many faces of racism creep up and several questions rapidly come to mind. Will someone find my presence offensive and choose to harm me? If I engage too much by voicing my opinion on a matter I feel passionate about, will I be considered an angry Black woman who couldn’t possibly have a civilized discussion? Will I be judged by the color of my skin, or rather by the intellect that I bring to the conversation?

This continues to be an adjustment for me, but I always have an innate need to rise to the occasion and overcome these racial hurdles. I take my feelings of displacement and combat them with my passion for the field and find solace in knowing that if I am following my dreams, the rest will follow. As I’m writing this, there is a measure of hope – MUSC’s fall of 2020 PhD class, a class I am proud to be a part of, is comprised of a majority of women with a significant amount of diversity.

There is no doubt that the field is changing – Black women are breaking new barriers, making new discoveries and demanding to be heard. This past year has been a testament to that. Kizzmekia Corbett, Ph.D, is a Black female scientist that played a critical role in the development of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. Her knowledge, tenacity and visibility encouraged so many people to trust the science. Furthermore, she is a shining example that a woman of color can be in any setting she wants to be in.

This year also came with mounting racial tensions, with multiple killings of unarmed Black men and women. This cemented the foundation of the Black Lives Matter movement, another demonstration that put emphasis on the importance of Black lives. These tragic events and inspiring movements greatly impacted my life. Specifically, in the days following the events of Breonna Taylor’s murder, I felt drained and, in some instances, hopeless.

Breonna Taylor could have easily been me, a young Black woman at the peak of her life. She aspired to be a nurse with the goal of helping others in need, a goal we had in common. I saw Breonna’s injustice and fought back by advocating for her justice. Her life was valuable, and she continues to inspire me. I take my feelings of hopelessness and strive for change, for Breonna, and for the other countless names of Black people wrongfully killed.

Women of all colors have a mark to make. We have proven time and time again that we are resilient, and we will empower the next generation to do the same. We all have one overarching goal in mind – be a woman of impact. For me, it’s choosing to make my mark in the science field with one question driving me forward: How will I make the world a better place?