Download the application form to apply for the T32 Cardiovascular Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Training opportunities within the interrelated research efforts include:
- Molecular basis of cardiovascular disease
- Mechanisms of cardiovascular development
- Cardiac stem cells and regenerative medicine and bioengineering
- Cell signaling
These research areas are supported by training resources including:
- Molecular genetics with transgenic and knockout facilities
- Facilities in microscopy, image analysis, mass spectrometry and applied chemistry
- Cardiovascular clinical investigation
Trainees have access to advanced courses in these research areas and discuss their training and projects with consultants and visiting scientists.
Postdoctoral Fellowships Application Procedure
Guidelines for postdoctoral fellows supported on the training grant include:
- Ph.D. and/or M.D. degrees
- Prior research experience
- Superior letters of recommendation
- Commitment to the objectives of the program
- U.S citizenship or permanent residency status
Prior exposure to pharmacology and/or cardiovascular research is not a prerequisite: we value trainees with diverse backgrounds for interactions with the interdisciplinary group of participants.
The training program emphasizes basic laboratory investigation, but has clinical investigation for qualified trainees. The program is also very supportive of trainees from underrepresented minorities.
The application should include the following materials:
- Completed application form.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Letter from the mentor sponsoring the student for the program and including their evaluation of the student’s potential.
- Two page (maximum) synopsis of a preliminary research proposal with a rationale of how the proposed project and/or training of the applicant will impact cardiovascular research. If the candidate has not yet selected a mentor, they should explain their career goals and interests in cardiovascular biology sufficient to evaluate their early consideration for support by the program.
- Letters of recommendation from three additional faculty members.
- Bio sketch from mentor.
Return completed package to:
Donald R. Menick, Ph.D.
Department of Medicine/Cardiology
Gazes Cardiac Research Institute, Rm 326C
Medical University of South Carolina
114 Doughty Street
Charleston, SC 29425