Meet Dr. Carol Feghali-Bostwick - teacher, scientist, mentor, mother, friend and notable woman in STEM

Xinh-Xinh Nguyen
March 31, 2021
Hand writing Mentor crossword concept with white chalk on blackboard. Made with the related words Improve, Develop, Training, Motivate, Coaching and Inspire.
Licensed from iStockphoto.com.

I had the opportunity to study and train under the guidance of Carol Feghali-Bostwick, Ph.D. As a student in her lab, you might think that I knew one or two things about her; but honestly, I didn’t. Therefore, when I was given the opportunity to write about her, I immediately said yes. I wanted to know more about her passion for research, her dedication to teaching and mentoring, and especially her contribution in STEM.

Dr. Feghali-Bostwick is a scientist at MUSC; mentoring is her second career! She leads a team focused on identifying pathogenic mechanisms in fibrotic diseases, such as systemic sclerosis or scleroderma. Her team also works on identifying potential therapeutic targets for fibrosis or scarring.

"I would encourage young women scientists to continue in their scientific careers despite its many challenges; the key is perseverance. It has been a great career for me. I love my job!”

-- Dr. Carol Feghali-Bostwick

Dr. Feghali-Bostwick earned a Bachelor of Science degree in biology from the American University of Beirut in Lebanon, a master’s degree in microbiology from the same university and a doctorate from Tulane University, with an emphasis in microbiology and immunology. Throughout her scientific career, Dr. Feghali-Bostwick has made numerous contributions to science with over one hundred peer-reviewed research articles. In addition, she received the “Top Ten Publishers Award” from the Department of Medicine at MUSC in 2019 and 2020. She loves studying science and doing research but also wants to take that knowledge and impart it to the next generation of scientists.

As Dr. Feghali-Bostwick has shifted to a more research-focused career, she remains involved in activities that will allow her to work with the younger generation, such as promoting STEM in schools and providing programs and support specifically for female scientists and female faculty focused on research through the Advancement, Recruitment, & Retention of Women (ARROW) program. ARROW offers networking, training and social activities supporting women scientists.

To her, the best work gets done when there are multiple perspectives to contribute. She reasoned that with multiple perspectives from varied backgrounds and expertise, research can be advanced and new directions will be prioritized and explored. It also helps to know the strengths of members of the team and their personality. In a team, each person is different. Each person has a different preference, so it is important to allow each person to be who they are most comfortable with being and express their thoughts in their own way to ensure the team works well together. Having a diverse team makes everyone smarter and better at what they do.

As a woman scientist in STEM, one of the hardest challenges for Feghali-Bostwick is seeing the lack of equity for women. However, she revealed that one of the most rewarding aspects of her role at MUSC is leading the ARROW program and identifying resources and opportunities that help support women in science and medicine. To her, there are many stereotypes about women in STEM that are not true because, honestly, there is nothing women can’t do! There remains a lack of representation of women in academic medicine and research, especially at the higher ranks and within leadership. It is important to take a moment to reflect on the challenges faced by women and acknowledge the contributions they have made.

As Dr. Feghali-Bostwick reflected on her success as a woman scientist, she was thankful to her high school biology teacher and her master’s degree advisor. They instilled a love of science, curiosity and understanding in her. She shared that she was fortunate to have a great mentor as a graduate student whose guidance helped her throughout her career. In addition, the unconditional support of her colleagues and family has been an immeasurable asset. To her, the people who mentored and advocated for her have really helped her. As her experience taught her, mentoring and advocating for women in science is very important. She especially enjoys working with early-career women scientists, helping them advance in their careers. It was not a surprise when she got nominated and received the MUSC Peggy Schachte Research Mentor Award for her mentorship ability.

Dr. Feghali-Bostwick’s favorite part of her job is to have the opportunity to be creative and solve problems on a daily basis – she has the luxury of doing what she enjoys every day. In addition to her passion for science and advocacy for women scientists, Dr. Feghali-Bostwick loves to read, hike and has a talent for music – she even worked as a disc jockey at a radio station in college.

Today, Dr. Feghali-Bostwick calls MUSC home. Her role allows her to continue her lifelong passion for education – inspiring the next generation of scientists, promoting awareness for research, and advocating for women in science. Despite the hard work that goes into achieving her goals, she still maintains that passion and perseverance.

"I would encourage young women scientists to continue in their scientific careers despite its many challenges; the key is perseverance,” she said. “It has been a great career for me. I love my job!”

After I reflected on my “formal” talk with Dr. Feghali-Bostwick, I realized that I had learned a little bit more about my mentor. I learned about her dedication to research, her background, and her unique ways of teaching and mentoring others through listening, understanding, asking questions and always being patient. Notably, I learned about her ways of breaking glass ceilings and pushing boundaries to raise awareness and uplift young women in STEM and female scientists through the ARROW program. As one of her mentees, I have benefited from her mentorship. I will continue to be inspired and to excel in what I do. I will continue to be open-minded, accept different opinions, talk and collaborate when appropriate, and critically look at things from different angles. Importantly, I will continue to advocate for young women scientists whenever possible. I am so proud to say, “Dr. Carol Feghali-Bostwick, my mentor!”